Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog might have lick some rat poison, No just saw it on

Customer Question
My dog might have lick...
My dog might have lick some rat poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what might ate?
Customer: No just saw it on the floor I guess he found it I'm not sure if any went in his mouth
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about might?
Customer: If he lick some of it what do I do, we don't have any vet near me it's 2hour do I give him milk water what do I look for signs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello is anyone there to answer I had to pay $5.00 and for u to help $14 so I'm waiting
8/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow licked and may have ingested some rat poison.

How to proceed depends upon the type he was exposed to, how much he weighs and the time period between ingestion and discovery.

I understand that it has been 2 hours since ingestion.

Most rat poisons are anticoagulants, but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins due to brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures.

With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food. We need to be careful with inducing vomiting in dogs that eat phosphide rat poison as the gas can be toxic for people too, so vomiting should be induced outdoors.

So I need to know these things:

1. Active ingredient in the toxin?
  2. How much your pup weighs?
  3. How much he may have ingested?
  4. How is he feeling/behaving now?
  5. Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
D-con she weighs about 7-9 pounds don't know but she had pull the box out so far ok and do have peroxide
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This rat poison is over 31/2 years old
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dr.Kara r u there

Sorry, there are lots of types of D-con.

Please copy the name of the active ingredient.

Many of these toxins are stable for several years.

She's a small girl so I am more concerned.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brodifacoum

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes.

Brodifacoum is long acting anticoagulant.

The minimal toxic dose is 0.02mgs of toxin per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight.

If she is 7 pounds then she is 3.18kgs (7lb/2.2lb per kilogram = 3.18kgs).

A toxic amount for her is only 0.0636mgs of Brodifacoum.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do I do or it's ok just keep an eye

That is a very small amount needed to cause bleeding problems.

Signs of toxicity with an anticoagulant take time to develop, sometimes we may not see signs for several days, although usually we see clotting changes within 24-48 hours.

You have the option to induce vomiting tonight.

And you can take her to see a veterinarian tomorrow afternoon and have a clotting profile checked.

Or you can skip inducing vomiting tonight and just have a clotting profile checked.

To induce vomiting give her 15mls or 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen peroxide orally then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling.

Ideally we can get rid of the poison. If no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose. You can give the peroxide directly or with a little canned food or bread chunks.

Then have her see her veterinarian to get a clotting profile checked and started on Vitamin K-1. If it has been longer than 3 hours it may be too late to induce vomiting. I would definitely have her see her veterinarian tomorrow and have a clotting profile checked if she were my pup.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian