Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Having dark coloured vomiting with mucous in it. Having

Customer Question
Having dark brown coloured vomiting...
Having dark brown coloured vomiting with mucous in it. Having cough. Some vimitus appears to have blood clot in it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No.. He is having this problem for a while
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kutti and Age : 7 years Male Labrador . Having this problem for last 3-4 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kutti?
Customer: Shown to local vets...lots of studies done...no diagnosis yet
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just added a photo of his vomit material for your review.
8/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The occasional vomiting can be due to gastric reflux or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). The coughing is more worrisome. Coughing up brown fluid is often a sign of pneumonia or bronchitis or cancer in the lungs. I would get some chest x-rays to make sure the lungs are clear.

If the problem of occasional nausea has been going on a while, you could try adding an antacid in the evenings or morning or both. I usually go with Famotidine (Pepcid). You can give 20 mg 1-2 times daily.

If the antacid doesn't help and the lungs are clear, I would get intestinal biopsies to rule out IBD. From there, dietary management with a hypoallergenic diet and often times immuno-suppressant steroids can help with the signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chest X-ray is already done ...it showed mild cardiomegaly (mild enlargement of heart)..otherwise it is Ok . I have also added photos of recent vomit material for your review..some local vets told that it could be PANCREATITIS ...some told it's due to HEART-Worm...what's your opinion?

That bloodwork looks pretty normal.

I would wonder if that vomiting is from one of a few things:

Gastric reflux

Food allergy

IBD

GI ulcers

GI tumor (less likely given the time frame)

I really think I would start with a hypoallergenic diet and Pepcid daily. A diet of Hill's Z/D or Purina HA are the two more common hypoallergenic diets. If that doesn't resolve the signs over 2-4 months, then I would do biopsies/ scoping of the gut at that time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the reason often he is having a hacking cough...which is often followed by some vomitus material . What's your opinion about the vomitus?

If there is heart enlargement, that in itself can lead to coughing as the heart presses on the smaller bronchi of the lungs.

That vomitus looks like fluid with some digested blood in it giving it that dark look.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in context of heart-enlargement...what's your next advice?

I recommend x-rays of the chest every 6-12 months to monitor for size enlargement that is worsening. Once clinical and having respiratory signs, I send them to a cardiologist for an Echo (ultrasound of the heart). That gives us a better idea of the heart function and a prognosis going forward.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian