Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog coco who is 14 yrs old is been takeing previcox 1/2

Customer Question
of a 227mg pill for...
my dog coco who is 14 yrs old is been takeing previcox 1/2 of a 227mg pill for 6 months and has run out .the vet in town who took x rays of her leg said she needed them.she did a complete blood panel and gave her a clean bill of health. now she will not give me any more refills with out more blood work and ck up. I told her I live on a very tight budget and can not afford to spend 400.00 on that when that wood by coco 8 months worth of pills. I am 72 yrs old and love this her very much she eats good ,her stool is fine no blood drinks good , only problem is she started limping bad again .we live in a town of 5000 on the mexico border I will not go back to this vet she did not want to here any of this .its 60 mile round trip to vet in another town ,with a chow who Hates car rides .is ther some kind of non prescription med I could give her? I was getting her meds from doctors foster &smith pharmacy on line.they called her with no luck.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes x-rays showed she has problem with looks like little beads in her leg joint witch causes pain and inflammation don't remember what its called
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: coco a 14 yr old chow chow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no for a chow her age her over all health and life is good
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Most vets do require bloodwork every 6 months while taking anti-inflammatory meds. This is to cover you in case of any liver or kidney damage with their long time use. If it's between getting a pet their meds and doing the "ideal" monitoring, I usually say it's ok with a once a year exam and then refills. I don't fault them, though, for covering their butt with the bloodwork requirements.

If you want to go with something over the counter, you could use Aspirin. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory. it's not as safe or as effective as Previcox or the other veterinary meds, but it's better than nothing. The dose that is safe is 5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian