Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 lb dog at 1.5 oz of milk chocolate

Customer Question
my 7 lb dog at 1.5 oz of milk chocolate
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
skype is not needed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She seems fine. I think she ate it about an hour or so ago. she has no symptoms

No problem Eileen,

Just typing out your answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Eileen,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely Skye very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her.

2. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Skye's weight as being in the region of 7 lb then you can see that she would have to swallow around 4.9 ozs { More than one quarter pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Skye's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much.=)

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hope you are still available. Skye cannot settle. she is very active and usually is asleep at this time. she is acting like she is high on the chocolate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i gave her a little water and a small amount of hot dog
Hello again,I would not be too concerned, this is something which sometimes happens and as long as this is all you are seeing it is only a minor side effect and nothing to worry about. It will normally wear off in a few hours.Regards, *****
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue.
If serious side effects were going to occur you would normally know all about it in the first couple of hours following ingestion. Given the time scale the chances are that Skye will be just fine.Regards, *****

Hello again Eileen,

I am just checking back in to see how Skye is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the milk chocolate she ate ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian