Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 yr old Schnauzer had a first time bout with

Customer Question
pancreatitis. We took her to...
My 6 yr old Schnauzer had a first time bout with pancreatitis. We took her to ER vet, they kept her overnight with IV and pain meds. Her Pancreous test showed abnormal and her white count was high. Picked her up this morning took her to her reg vet , they continued IV all day . Picked her up at 4pm. She seems some better not as lethargic. However she has only had a small amount of water and she did eat a small amount of food. She did urinate but no BM as of yet. She came in from using the potty and got under the bed and nothing we can do shy of dragging her out can make her come out. Is this normal behavior after trauma to ER? She is very intuitive to our routine and I'm thinking suspects we are taking her to return to ER. We are suppose to give her oral medication before going to bed but can't coax her out. Is this normal behavior given this situation. No vomiting, no cough no symptoms of still being sick are present. Just very withdrawn and calm which is odd for her breed! Completely denies any offers to be near us!!! Help we love her and very worried!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Jada had a bout of pancreatitis. It sounds like she is on the mend, though.

I will try to address all of your questions-

-she likely won't drink much water for the next 24 hours. Remember, she's been on IVs so she is likely very well hydrated at this point and is not feeling thirsty.

-the fact that she is eating anything and is able to keep it down is a great sign! This also means that she will drink when she is ready.

-No BM is okay at this point as well. If she was vomiting and diarrhea from the pancreatitis, she emptied her intestines completely and it will take 2 to 3 days to build up enough feces to create a bowel movement.

-Hiding is also not a big surprise. If you can imagine how you would feel after spending 24 hours in the hospital, she is likely worried that someone is going to touch her or take her temperature or give her an injection. I would still drag her out because the medications she needs tonight are vital to her recovery, but then let her sleep where she is comfortable until morning.

-She may be sleepy for a few days as she recovers as well. Pancreatitis creates huge amounts of inflammation and this can really make them feel drained. As long as she is eating and drinking and not having vomiting or diarrhea, she is going to recover.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Jada this evening? Is she feeling better? Eating better? Did she have a BM yet? Please let me know, I am worried about her.

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian