Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hardly eats and some days not at all, she drinks water and

Customer Question
just lays around. JA: I'm sorry...
hardly eats and some days not at all, she drinks water and just lays around.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sugarbear and shes12 yrs
JA: How old is sugarbear?
Customer: 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about sugarbear?
Customer: she hasn't had a bowl movement but has peed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Welsh

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has it been since she ate anything?

is she drinking normal amounts of water or has that changed?

when was the last time she had a bowel movement?

has she been to the vet for this yet?

have you tried anything to entice her yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She ate yesterday afternoon, no I don't have any money to take her to a vet, I seen she had pooped very little yesterday and not at all today. Water intake 3 or 4 times a day and drink's a nice amount. I try different foods I know she likes.
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

has there been any changes to her weight?

how long has she been lethargic?

any current meds or illness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has lost quite a bit of weight.
Probably , I think around last Wednesday when I came home from work I noticed her not being herself.
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

sorry I was at work so i wasn't able to get back to you right away.
ultimately I am worried with her age and how she is acting that something is going on more then just an upset tummy. Ideally we would get some bloodwork done to see what is going on (concerns for diabetes, kidney disease, liver, mass, etc);
if you are unable to do that, you can try some famotidine (generic for pepcid) to see if it helps calm the stomach, if you give me her weight then i can give you a dose to try. then you can try a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice (no additive, no seasoning, drained) and see if that helps to entice her to eat. ultimately though if that doesn't improve, or she starts vomiting, continues to lose weight, etc. then would want to get her in asap.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian