PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog sounds like she is choking but nothing comes out, she

Customer Question

My dog sounds like she is choking but nothing comes out, she is eating, drinking and breathing ok, what is wrong with her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about a 1 year old blue pit.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: That's pretty much it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you please attach a video showing the episode that she's having?
2) When did this begin?
3) Does anything appear to cause it?
4) Has she been boarded, groomed, at the dog park, at doggy daycare, etc over the last month?
5) How is she eating, drinking, urinating and defecating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is eating drinking urinating and dedicate ting fine it's just that she sounds like she is choking, almost like whooping cough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like reverse sneezing, maybe a little like kennel cough, but more like the reverse sneezing.

Has she been boarded, groomed, at the dog park, at doggy daycare, etc over the last month?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only had her a week and a half, I'm not sure, I know she was badly mistreated and not fed right.

If this is reverse sneezing, we may be able to help her with some antihistamines. However, if she progressively gets worse, you'll need to have her examined. If she has not been boarded, groomed, at the dog park, at doggy daycare or otherwise exposed to other ill dogs, its unlike that this is going to be kennel cough.

Reverse sneezing is actually nothing to be concerned about and often does not indicate any problems with the pet. We do not initiate treatment in veterinary medicine unless the symptoms are linked to something underlying. That said, we do know that allergies can lead to more episodes of reverse sneezing, so that's worth a try. At 1 year of age, I would try Zyrtec with her. This is available in the human pharmacy section of any store that has a pharmacy. Here's the dosing info: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Make sure to give this for at least 3-5 days before judging its efficacy. We often don't see results in the first 24 hours.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Let me know if you have any other questions on this topic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will

.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion today?

Hi Rhonda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy