Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My miniature poodle (12 years old) was not eating

Customer Question

My miniature poodle (12 years old) was not eating much--feeding him Pedigree all his life--got him Purina One--he loves it--should I keep him on two cups per day even though he wants more--also he seems to be more thirsty.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Cosmo. Do you feel that he's more thirsty recently? Is he losing weight? Is he urinating more?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no

Was that a no to all the questions? How long has he been more thirsty? Is it warmer there than normal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hot here-keeping him in during the day

Ok. That is good that he's not urinating more or losing weight. If he was doing that combined with the drinking more, then the question of diabetes would be brought up. This is something to keep in the back of your mind though. Sometimes they can drink more as they are losing more due to the hot weather. They cool by panting and that can lose a lot of moisture. The food itself, the new Purina One, may be making him a little more thirsty too. I've seen some with diet changes want to drink more. If he's having good activity and not putting on weight, you could give him a little more if he's that eager to eat it. Just keep a close eye on his weight as that shouldn't start to go up.