Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I am trying to if i should nueter my 6 month old catahoula

Customer Question

I am trying to if i should nueter my 6 month old catahoula male puppy. Only one of his testicles dropped last month and now it looks like the other has dropped but is significantly smaller. I took him to vet last month and they recommend i nueter him and that this is genetic and would be passed on .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Jessica, we expect testicles to move into the scrotum by 12 weeks of age. I'm surprised that Azul's testicles have taken this long and, in fact, finally dropped at all. He's not techincally cryptorchid - the absence of one or more testicles from the scrotum - and so a genetic predisposition isn't assured in his case. Because it's a possibility, however, neutering him isn't unreasonable because breeding him could risk throwing truly cryptorchid puppies. If you're not interested in his breeding, nothing need be done. If you elect to neuter him, however, it's best to wait until he's at least a year of age. New information is coming in every day supporting later neutering as it appears to be protective against early orthopedic diseases in golden retrievers, Labs, and German shepherds and there are likely to be other breeds that would benefit from delaying neutering.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.