Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We found 1 flea on our dog and he is scratching like crazy

Customer Question

we found 1 flea on our dog and he is scratching like crazy and i found alot of small lump on him and he is very restless now he is vomiting he has kept a little water down will be ok until tomorrow morning to see the vet and can nerves cause the vomiting
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

When dogs are allergic to fleas, all it takes is just one for their bodies to break out causing hives or small lumps and making Haus itch like crazy. The vomiting is a normal sequel to this allergic reaction and the first line of defense is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs....I know you did give some Benadryl but make sure it is enough. There is a chance that Haus could have an even more severe allergic reaction and if he does not respond within 2-4 hrs to the correct dose of Benadryl, seek veterinary attention for stronger medications. In most cases, this is effective so hopefully Haus wil feel better very soon.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****