Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 5 yr old pitbull that started throwing up on

Customer Question
Friday . Whe had some...
We have a 5 yr old pitbull that started throwing up on Friday . Whe had some hive looking bumps on her back and tummy. We gave her probiotics for dogs and 1 dose of Benadryl. We switched her to chicken broth only a half cup at a time . She has been able to keep it down about half the time . She does not throw up for a few hrs after she eats . The hives are gone and the red rash is near her groin and is still present.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

It sounds like she is having a pretty classic allergic reaction and needs more doses of benadryl. How much does the dog weigh? Ill calculate a dose for you. Alternatively, she may also benefit from a low dose of a steroid to reduce her inflammation and suppress the allergic reaction. If 3 or 4 doses of Benadryl are not helping her, then you should take her to your regular vet for evaluation as she may need a steroid in addition to the benadryl. Also , it may be more than an allergic reaction so if it is not resolving by Monday, She should be examined by her vet.

By the way, I love pitties!!! they are my favorite breed and I have a blue nose myself.

You can also feed her a bland diet. This consists of a lean protein source (boiled skinless chicken breast, low fat turkey breast boiled low fat hamburger, or low fat collage cheese) and rice or plain pasta (no butter or salt!!! that will make her feel worse). Feed this in a 1:2 ratio of protein to carbohydrate and start with a few table spoons every few hours, then work up to a normal meal at her normal feeding times if she tolerates this without vomiting. Withhold food for 4-6 hours before offering her anything and offer water first. If she does ok with this, then you can offer her food.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! She is 65 pounds. Should I continue the probiotics?

I am always in favor of probiotics. They are never harmful and may even be helping her. You can continue to give them indefinitely.

She can have 50 milligrams of Benadryl (up to 100mg but this will make her pretty sleepy) three times a day until the rash and hives are gone.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rory. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian