Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog threw up some pieces of smoked pig foot yesterday and some water this morning, No, I gave her a smoked pig foot on

Customer Question
She threw up some pieces...
She threw up some pieces of smoked pig foot yesterday and some water this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, I gave her a smoked pig foot on Friday night, has been eating normally otherwise
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elliot, she's 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elliot?
Customer: She also started a new food on Friday, but seems to tolerating it well
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she eating and drinking?

4- Is it fair to say she vomited all of the pieces of the pig foot?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks! She weighs about 40 pounds. It seems like she vimited all of the pieces to me. I don't think she is lethargic, but she was dragging on our walk this morning though she is playing like normal now that we've gotten home. She ate a few hours after she threw up for the first time on Saturday. She only eats once a day, but she threw up after drinking water this morning.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the concern with the ingestion of pig foot is that the bones could become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract; vomiting could be an early indication of a bone being obstructed. I am going to make some recommendations below, if she continues to vomit during or after the below recommendations I would have her checked by a veterinarian for xrays as initial screening test. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting; no exercise.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian