Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female dog has been throwing up a lot and there both not

Customer Question
eating there food that I...
My female dog has been throwing up a lot and there both not eating there food that I cook them. They always ate it until recently and I haven't changed the recipe but I don't no what I can feed them instead canned food is grose and they fart a lot after it, although I haven't ever even fed these dogs canned food I just don't no what to feed them help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Hello Kelly, I have a few questions:

How long has Buffy been vomiting (hours/days?)

Does it look like she is only vomiting food or is it something else?

Any diarrhea?

What is your home cooked food recipe?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well she had thrown up on Friday and last night when I was going to bed I noticed there was three piles of vomit my partner cooked them steak on the BBQ last night because they haven't been eating what I cook she might have just scoffed it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like just what ever she has eaten and what I cook is chicken mince turkey mince brown rice add mackerel to the rice and shred up carrot and zucchini they use to always eat it now they don't touch it and it's so disheartening when I try hard to cook for them
And they don't eat it

Sounds like a very good diet. Are you sure that the mackerel is fresh? Or is it canned?

Do you cook a big batch at the same time. You can freeze it to keep it. But it can go bad in the fridge after a few days.

Because they have been eating this and now they don't want it makes me think that either it is spoiled or you are using different ingredients.

Yes, your girl may have eaten too much steak too quickly and vomited.

Did I lose you? Perhaps you went to bed.

I can check back with you tomorrow at same time as today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I left my phone on charge and went to work out in the garden lol sorry .. The mackeral is canned should it be fresh?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't even really cook that big a batch I use 500g chicken mince and 500g turkey mince 2-3 cups of rice 1 can of mackeral and 1 zucchini shredded 2 carrots

No canned is fine. How about the other questions about food preparation and storage?

Are you in Australia? It is 18:36 here in Hawaii?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeh it's 14.37p.m Melbourne Victoria

Well Kelly, we are having our annual rock band and dance for our small village so I have to sign off.

But do think about what is different in how you cook or store the food. Are you using a different brand of mackerel.

Or some supplement or seasoning that is new. Because there has to be a rational reason for them suddenly refusing your cooking. Consider everything - even the water.

I'll check back with you when I get home. Don't worry, I won't be out too long.

Hello Kelly, any thoughts about what may be different in their food or preparation?

Do have Pepcid there? It is Famotadine. Here it comes in 10mg, 20mg and 40mg sizes.

You can give Buffy 1 mg/Kg. Round it off to the closest size. Give that every 12 hours until the vomiting stops.

In the meantime fast her for 12 hours (no food or water). This is to rest her digestive system. Then begin feeding her only boiled chicken (no skin or bones) and white rice (it is more easily digested than the brown rice) in small portions throughout the day. Same with the water. Gradually increase the food and water until she is eating and drinking her normal amount. After

3 days, if she has stopped vomiting, begin to slowly change her diet back to the cooked food. So on the first day give her ¼ cooked food and ¾ chicken and rice. Next day ½ of each and so on.

The chicken and rice makes a very bland diet that is easy on the digestive system.

If she starts to vomit again take her to your vet for a complete exam because it might be something more serious than diet.

I'll be back tomorrow. Then you can ask all the questions that you want because I am here to help.

Once you feel that we are finished kindly rate this service.

Hello Kelly. Has Buffy stopped vomiting?

Is she on the chicken/rice diet?

I'm sure you must have questions. That's what I am here for.

Hi Kelly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buffy. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes

Zithromax is a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Kennel cough is a descriptive name for a condition that can caused by a range of bacterias or viruses.

The Zithromax was chosen because it is effective on many bacterias.

If the kennel cough is from a virus the Zithromax should prevent a secondary bacterial infection from a weakened immuno-system.

Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian