How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28573
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 pound terrier ate a chewed up piece of gum off the

Customer Question

Hi. My 16 pound terrier ate a chewed up piece of gum off the ground 15 minutes ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Eddy. 1 year, 4 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eddy?
Customer: He just went for a run, so it will be hard to determine lethargy from gum or activitiy
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

While unsanitary, that gum doesn't pose a risk of intoxication. We're concerned with xylitol-containing gums because ingesting enough xylitol to cause hypoglycemia and liver toxicity does occur but not from ingesting "spent" gum in which the xylitol would be mostly absent. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Any GI distress should be transient and not need tretment. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions