Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We just received 2 mixed breed chihuahuas. One has longer

Customer Question

We just received 2 mixed breed chihuahuas. One has longer hair, and seems to have a skin issue, she keeps gnawing at her legs and whining. It looks like most of the hair is gone on her hind legs even.
Not sure if this is related, but I see brown specs on her underbelly.
Before I noticed the legs to have scabs on them, I thought she might be having issues with clogged anal glands, which I know can cause them distress. I was able to clear out the glands, which were full, which afterwards she seemed better the next day. But later on that day she was at her feet again, that's when I took a closer look at her. I'm thinking a trip to a groomer for both to get the glands cleaned out properly and some medicated shampoo?
BTW, there is no sign of fleas, and it doesn't appear to be mange, I have seen that before. Also from the look of their runny poop when we first got them a few days ago, im guessing they got cheap food, which she may be allergic to. The other dog has short black hair and is also gnawing at her bottom area, which I attribute to the glands. She seems to have bad dandruff, but her skin isnt as bad.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) The dog that is chewing on her bottom, is it the anal area or above the tail? Improved since gland expression?
2) Can you attach pictures of what you're seeing?
3) Is she on any medications at this time?