Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think he might have ingested some vitamin d, Baxter 4, He

Customer Question

I think he might have ingested some vitamin d
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baxter 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baxter?
Customer: He has Addison's disease
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How many vitamin D capsules did Baxter swallow and what strength were they { iu units } ?

2. How much does Baxter weigh { In pounds } ?

3. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They were 5000 units. We are not sure if he ingested them or not. The baggie had teeth marks and was split open. He weighs 80lbs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It happened about 15 min. Ago

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. It is good you have such a large dog. While vitamin D can be toxic to dogs I usually only start to be concerned when a dog takes more than 4,000 iu per kg of bodyweight { = 1,811 iu per pound of bodyweight } So the toxic dose for your dog would be 144,880 iu which is around 29 of these 5000 iu capsules.

2. If you think he may have swallowed anywhere near a toxic dose then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much.

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

From your question it does not sound as if he actually swallowed very much ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Baxter is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin D incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?