Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm not even sure but I have a 5 pound bischon/poodle mix

Customer Question
that could have injested...
I'm not even sure but I have a 5 pound bischon/poodle mix that could have injested 180 of Allegra,. She had a an accident in my sons room and when I picked up the pile of clothes where she pooped, there was 4/5 Allegra on the floor. She could have not had any or she could have got some
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: 14 weeks, Daisy. She has thrown up 2 this morning. But that was well before I found the meds in the floor. I don't think she got some because they were under the clothes but you never know
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: Nope. She is a terrible potty trainer though 😂
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

While 180 mg would be quite an overdose, in laboratory studies, dogs receiving oral doses up to 2000 mg/kg (300X the maximum recommended adult human daily oral dose) no evidence of toxicity was observed. I would expect sedation and lethargy, however. Facial edema and vomiting have been reported as well. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat Daisy in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian