Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 60 lb boxer ate quite a lot of the floweres off a

Customer Question
Piortulaca plant last night...
My 60 lb boxer ate quite a lot of the floweres off a Piortulaca plant last night . I didn't realize it till this morning. She was up all night barking. Now I know wh.
How poisonous are these flowers?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Flowers of a Portulaca plant
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No she is healthy. She is 3 years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

­­Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now these aren't a dog friendly plant, but her signs don't sound like a severe ingestion. Specifically, we can see this cause lethargy, muscle weakness, or, diarrhea.

Therefore, since she has not developed any of those signs and is just a bit agitated (which could be secondary to gut upset), we'd need only monitor her here +/- use supportive care. To do so and offset any risk of diarrhea, you can try her with light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Furthermore, we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to bulk up her stools and keep them from going loose. But otherwise we'd just need to keep an eye for the above over the next 24 hours but wouldn't expect anything serious if she is fine this long after ingestion.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian