Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not sure. We have two coronet cavies. One is acting oddly.

Customer Question
JA: I'll do all I...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cavy?
Customer: High pitched squealing with large body movements. I have not been able to see if its whole body or what.
JA: What is the cavy's name and age?
Customer: Mr. Nibbs approx 4 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr. Nibbs?
Customer: Eyes and nose are clear.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What do you mean by large body movements? Running away, stretching, tremors, seizures, etc?

Any signs of pain if you press on his belly, feel his legs, and move his neck?

Any appetite loss?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Two days. I would describe it as sudden thrashing. His head seems ok. Did not care for abdomen to be touched and back half seems limp
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to get ready for work. How much longer/can I continue question later today?

I was in the midst of typing my reply, but the question is open for as long as needed if you do need to go.

Though since time is off the essence I will just quickly note that if he is thrashing and squealing these are severe signs of potential pain in the cavy. It also would fit with toxic exposure but hopefully that isn't a worry here. Furthermore, if the back end is limp, we'd be worried that the pain could be spinal and that paralysis is developing. Therefore, we'd not want to leave him today and really he needs to see his vet now (or be dropped off there) since this sounds quite severe.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. What do you mean toxic exposure?

You are welcome,

Any access to heavy metal, pesticides on veggies or grass if they are allowed to graze, non-cavy safe plants, or anything other chemical or drug that they may have had access to. I say its hopefully less of a worry for your wee one since this species doesnt free roam like other pet species does. But it could cause the signs we are seeing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very good. You have confirmed my need for vet care. Thank you for your time

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Mr. Nibbs,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian