Dr. Stephanie
Dr. Stephanie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at San Marcos Veterinary Clinic
94451881

I think my 10 pound dog just ate a 100mg deramaxx pill what

Customer Question

I think my 10 pound dog just ate a 100mg deramaxx pill what can i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stephanie replied 1 year ago.

Was the ingestion within the hour?

This is a very large dose for a dog this size, so if she just ate it and we can get her to vomit the pill up straight away, that is going to be our best course of action

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i make her vomit
she ate it about 15 minutes ago. It is for my saint bernard and he spit it out and she inhaled it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there

If the dog just ingested this medication and you have some hydrogen peroxide at home, I would administer 1 teaspoon by mouth. You can soak a small piece of bread in the hydrogen peroxide to make it go down easier

If you do not have any peroxide at home, then I would recommend taking your pet to a 24 hour veterinarian. They can induce vomiting there and the medication they will administer will have its effect within minutes

This amount of deramaxx is very toxic to a 10 lb dog, so if the pill is not produced intact in the vomitus rapidly, then I recommend your pet be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible tonight. If you are able to retrieve the pill from the vomitus, I would still recommend you take your pet to be seen tomorrow as follow up will be necessary even with a partial ingestion

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gave her peroxide she started dry heaving but not vomiting yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i give her more peroxide

You should not give any more peroxide sooner than 15 minutes. Honestly, this amount is so toxic that I would start driving to a 24 hour veterinarian. If she vomits it up on the way there, then you may be in luck, but time is somewhat of the essence.

An ingestion of that amount if not treated can lead to kidney failure. I am not saying any of this to scare you, but I just want to make sure your doggie gets the dermamaxx out of her system as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting for the on call vet to call back is there anything else I can do

If it has been 15 minutes, you can repeat the dose of hydrogen peroxide. You can increase it to 10 mLs which is equivalent to 2 teaspoons. I do think even if she vomits after that, she should still be seen this evening, so hopefully your veterinarian gets back to you soon so she can be evaluated and treatments can be started to try and prevent any lasting damage from the ingestion. I am so sorry you are having to go through this, I know how stressful it must be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one will call me back
i don't know what to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just called an emergency vet because the on call vet still has not called me back and they said to call the animal poison control. I called them and it is a voice mail that says it is a one time fee of 149.00

Still no vomiting? Have you repeated the hydrogen peroxide? Is the emergency vet able to see your pet tonight?

Poison control is basically going to tell you that this is a very serious overdose and your pet needs to be decontaminated. This entails inducing vomiting, followed by administration of activated charcoal. Hospitalization for fluids to be administered is often required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vet just called back and said she was in the middle of an emergency and that i should give her a third dose of peroxide
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one seems to care besides you. I don't know where to bring her
everywhere I have called is closed and my vet said she is in the middle of an emergency

I am so sorry this is happening to you! Go ahead and give the peroxide, but please know with the amount of time that has elapsed that even with vomiting, there is still going to be some follow up needed. I would still plan to have your pet seen as soon as possible. I am sorry I cannot offer more support from a distance, but we just need to get this doggie to vomit as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, if she does not vomit with the hydrogen peroxide, than there is not much else that you can do short of getting her to the vet. What part of the country are you in? Maybe I can help you locate a 24 hour animal urgent care?

I need to sign off for the evening. I am sorry I wasn't able to provide you with more help from here. I really hope your doggie does OK. Please feel free to respond here with an update or any additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally got her into a vet. They induced vomiting and gave her charcoal. Also ran blood test on her kidneys which came back normal. I will take her back to the vet in 48 hours and run another test on her kidneys to make sure there has not been any damage. Got some meds for her GI track and esophagus. Thank you so much for walking through this with me tonight when I could not get any help from anyone else. Because of you I was able to stay calm and feel like I had some help. You did much more than you know. And I so thank you for that.
Thanks
Christine Mckay

Hi Christine,

What a stressful night you had! I am so happy you were able to get her in for decontamination. Its excellent that he baseline kidney values were normal. I would concur with the recommendation to have them rechecked in 48 hours, or sooner if anything seems abnormal. It will be good to keep her on some medication to help ease an upset tummy since both the deramaxx and the hydrogen peroxide can be quite irritating to the lining of the stomach and esophagus.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with an update or any additional questions.

Best wishes,

Dr. Stephanie

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kailie. How is everything going?

Dr. Stephanie