Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My sons husky ate lisinopril about an hour ago. We don't

Customer Question

Hi. My sons husky ate lisinopril about an hour ago. We don't know how many. He weighs 50 lbs-husky.. Have him hydrogen peroxide-vomited 6 times and drank a lot of water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's walking around. What else should he do ?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Jasper and he's 18 months
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you call my son please-***-***-****? Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Ohio-he's in Los Angeles with the dog . It would be easier for you to talk to him. Thank you!

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. It is always a good thing to try and induce vomiting where a dog has swallowed any sort of drug it should not have, and the fact he has vomited six times so quickly after swallowing the Lisinopril means that the chances are everything will be just fine and Jasper should be unaffected by his experience.

2. However with a larger dog like yours even if you had not induced vomiting then this would not likely have been a very serious incident. With this drug dosages below 20 mg/kg usually cause mild signs only, most commonly only vomiting and lethargy for 12 - 24 hours.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Jasper's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your son's dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Lisinopril incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?