How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20411
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Corgi ate M&M's about 8PM Pacific. She is drinking a lot. Do

Customer Question

Corgi ate M&M's about 8PM Pacific. She is drinking a lot. Do we need to take to the vet or just keep watching her? She looks uncomfortable, but no runny stool or other symptoms.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Regan,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this occur, how many minutes or hours ago { I am not in your time zone } ?

2. How much dose your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

3. Any rough idea how many M&M s she swallowed { Ounces } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Scott
I did cover this material. She weighs 35-37 lbs. We think she could have eaten 15oz. This happened 2-3 hours ago.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Regan,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. As more than two hours has passed since she ate the M&Ms it is now too late to recover them by inducing vomiting.

2. The concern of course is the chocolate content of the M&Ms. However unless things get much worse I doubt if this will turn into too serious an incident so you would be taking very little risk in just observing her for present. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 35 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 24.5 ozs { More than one pound and a half } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. That said it is possible that Abbie will be a bit thirsty over the next 8 - 12 hours and she may experience indigestion or a mild gastroenteritis but I would not expect much worse than that.

4. I am telling you the following just for your information as I doubt if Abbie took a toxic dose.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any more serious symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

5. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Regan,

I am just checking back in to see how Abbie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the M&Ms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hi Regan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abbie. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo