Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 month shar pei pug mix is trembling offbalanced and

Customer Question
drooling JA: I'm sorry to hear...
My 9 month shar pei pug mix is trembling offbalanced and drooling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: She is healthy but has been chewing and biting like when she was small
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

In a shar pei mix with trembling and lethargy, I would want to rule out a fever. These dogs are highly susceptible to Shar Pei Fever. This is an auto-inflammatory disease where they can get swelling and fevers > 105 (normal 100-102).

If the temp is normal or only slightly enlarged, then we can usually treat symptomatically with anti-nausea meds (Cerenia), antibiotics and GI protectants. If the fever is high, then we would treat assuming shar pei fever with anti-inflammatory meds and something called Colchicine.

I would go in tomorrow to get the exam and then take it from there.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian