Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I have a 6 month Australian Shepard, female. She was fixed

Customer Question

I have a 6 month Australian Shepard, female. She was fixed July 20th. Healed nicely, back to herself within a few days. Sunday, July 31st midday she began needing to pee every 5 min. Crying at the door, sqauting 4-5 times each time she was let out. She was in fact urinating, some normal amounts others dribbles. No blood. Lots of accidents. I immediately put her back on some leftover antibiotics, began apple cider vinegar treatments 2x a day as well as cranberries, blueberries and citrus, yogurt mixed in with her food. The urinating has decreased significantly, still the occasional accident. During all of this, no personality changes, appetite good, but this morning black hard stool. I did not notice blood or foul odor. Personally I think she's not drinking enough water and perhaps adding all these new things to her diet?? (Basically after throwing down 700$ to have her fixed I'm doing everything I can to avoid another vet bill). Thoughts? I'm concerned about internal bleeding, but again, behavior hasn't changed, no vomiting, still eating and begging lol.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

It sounds like your dog is showing signs of a lower urinary tract infection. The best recommendation I can make at this time is to have a urinalysis performed to look for signs of infection and a culture to determine which antibiotics are best. Blood does not always accompany an infection but it certainly sounds like she is experiencing bladder inflammation. Since she has had a short course of an antibiotic that didn't help, either she has an infection that is caused by a resistant organism (and needs a different antibiotic) or she has not been on antibiotics long enough to kill all of the bacteria. It sounds like she has gotten one relief from the treatments you have begun at home but if she is still squatting frequently and producing only small amounts of urine then she still likely has some bladder inflammation. This may also benefit from pain medication to help reduce the discomfort until the entire infection is gone.

The black stool that you mention indicates bleeding high in the GI tract. Blood that is partially or fully digested appears black in the stool. Iron supplementation can also cause this however so if you have been giving her an iron supplement, this may simply be a side effect of the excess iron her GI tract is not able to absorb.

Does this help to address your concerns today?