Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She's been having bloody watery stools for 3 days and she

Customer Question
was heaving two days ago JA...
She's been having bloody watery stools for 3 days and she was heaving two days ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Penny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: She's 9 weeks old
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Is she vomiting?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's not a very lively puppy since we got her. We have her a week. I thought I heard her throw up in the garden two days ago but I didn't see anything. She has nibbled some of my plants

1- Is she eating?

2- Any blood in the stool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's still eating. Yes blood and mucus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ate you still there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are

Yes, I am here. Please give me a few minutes I am typing your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see diarrhea, blood and mucus in the stool this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by family vet for a hands on examination and a fecal analysis as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could she have parvo even if she's been vaccinated against it

Parvo is definitely one possibility. However, puppies with parvo generally are also vomiting, lethargic, not eating, etc.

If she has been vaccinated she is still not fully vaccinated at 9 weeks old. She needs another 1-2 boosters of parvo vaccine to be fully vaccinated. She is still susceptible to parvo virus.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if she ate some ivy leaves

Yes, ivy leaves or any plant can cause inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract causing diarrhea.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian