Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We spoke earlier in the week regarding my male and female

Customer Question

Hi we spoke earlier in the week regarding my male and female German shepherds. My female is now comfortable with my male. The problem is now my male shows very little interest in her. She's on day 13 of her cycle and she's still bleeding. He will lick her but won't mount her. Will this behavior change the day she is ovulating? Is it possible he won't breed to her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Ashley,

I was wondering how things were going, glad to keep advising you on this ...

All you can do is to keep trying him with her, as we said before the optimum time would be between day 11 and day 13 but tomorrow could still work. There would be two possibilities here, one might be that we have somehow missed the ovulation window or she is atypical in this respect or for whatever reason he is just not interested. This sometimes happens for no obvious reason.

I guess it is too late now but for future reference your vet can run bloods earlier in the season to work out the time of ovulation and you can also get this information via looking at the cell types from a vaginal swab. However it may be worth contacting your vet first thing tomorrow to see if it is practical to run bloods to check which part of her cycle she is now in.

Sorry things are no going as planned.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible she intimidated him the first meeting? Also according to the heat cycle she's still not ovulating becauSe her body is still bleeding. She's had no yellow discharge and her behavior has only changed mildly. Is it possible when she is ready she will invite him and then he will perform? When he did try to mount her yesterday if she looked at him he would get off of her

Hello again,

Male dogs are not normally intimidated when presented with a bitch in heat, they normally carry on regardless. It is possible that she still may be receptive over the next day or so if she is still bleeding at present despite what we worked out earlier.

All you can do is to keep trying I am afraid ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the mating process...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott