Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My cocker spaniel has ear problems. He has swelling in the

Customer Question
ear canal and just outside...
my cocker spaniel has ear problems. He has swelling in the ear canal and just outside the canal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Darin, the cocker spaniel breed is known for developing severe ear infections which can end up calcifying the ear cartilage, infecting the middle/inner ear (otitis media/otitis interna), and often necessitating surgical intervention such as lateral ear resection and total ear ablation. Idiopathic (unknown cause) glandular hyperplasia (think of this as overactive oil glands) appear the cause of such ear infections in this breed.

Peroxide is OK for routine and superficial cleaning of the ears but Buddy's vet needs to carefully examine Buddy's ears and if they look like they're going to be troublesome for Buddy draw up a routine and regular cleaning program which might include prophylactic antimicrobial therapy against bacteria and yeast. You must be proactive with Buddy lest he be subjected to a lifetime of ear misery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian