Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Zoe, nearly 9 yr old Lab female, in a matter of minutes went

Customer Question
from being alert and playful...
Zoe, nearly 9 yr old Lab female, in a matter of minutes went from being alert and playful to wimpering and walking with her head down. She seems alert and aware, but no energy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: Very healthy otherwise. No known issues
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Zoe is a calm dog who likes human contact but also likes her space. She is sitting at our feet, her head down between her legs and ours.....very unusual for her.Her movements seem slow, but balanced. She will not walk with her head up. Nose near the ground.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she actually is slightly off balanced. When she first came to us she was whimpering like something hurt. she is acting like she did something wrong, head down, and very sad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No issues with food or bowels etc.. Ate a normal dinner. No vomiting
8/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you attach video of what she is doing?
2) Does she have a head tilt?
3) When you look at her eyes, are they making any abnormal movement such as side-t0-side, up and down or rotating like a door knob?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is resting comfortably now on my daughters bed. No tilting of the head and her eyes were normal. No twitching or shifting. She didn't tip over or seize. Just got up and walked into the living room, leaned into me whimpering and when we walked her outside she seemed tippy. My husband and I thought it maybe her paw that hurt but after we watched her more it appears to be more her balance.

Video will help me greatly in knowing what you're seeing. Can you post one once she's up again?

Based on your description I worry about vestibular disease and also that she may have pulled something in her neck (having a spasm) that's causing her so much discomfort. I'll know and can better help you with video.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I send one in the morning

Absolutely. I'll be on around 8am CST.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian