Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I got a 7 year old toy poodle. He has a smelly swollen anus

Customer Question

Hi there. I got a 7 year old toy poodle. He has a smelly swollen anus for nearly two weeks now. I put savelone in the anus hoping it will disappear but I have no luck. Can you recommend any medication or home treatment we can do. Your help is highly appreciated. Thank you. Merle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. It sounds like there may be a problem with the anal glands and if this is the case and it has been going on for a two weeks you should see a vet for possible antibiotics as there may be an infection present. Anal glands hold a fluid and sometimes it gets thick. Usually a dog breaks the glands through a bowel movement but if the stool is not firm enough they do not break open.

Keeping some quality fiber in the diet can help such as pure canned pumpkin.

Some dogs just have life long problems with them and surgery is needed.

You can try some warm compresses on the area to relive some of the pain and draw out any infection until you can see your vet.

Also please be careful of the Salves you use as some are toxic to dogs if licked. Salves with zinc oxide should not be used.

Here is more on the anal glands and their problems and treatments.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Hi Merle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Trimie. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive