Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a treeing coonhound that we rescued a year ago - we

Customer Question
Hi - we have a...
Hi - we have a treeing walker coonhound that we rescued a year ago - we think she is 3-4 years old. She was 22 lbs when we found her on the side of the road but is now 53 lbs. Last night I gave her a small Himalayan dog treat as her one year celebration treat. She has sensitive stomach, so I was hoping this would be a good option for her. It has upset her stomach unfortunately. I thought they were a safer alternative but apparently not. She is very lethargic, her stomach is tender ( she squeaked when my husband rubbed her belly), heavier than normal breathing, loose stool and she usually devours her food but hasn't eaten anything today. I am thinking it was too rich for her but also concerned it could be a blockage. Should I try to give her Pepcid or Zantac? She hasn't eaten in any grass - which is what she normally does when she has an upset stomach.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Dixie has an upset stomach after eating a Himalayan dog treat last night and she is not eating, seems to have a tender abdomen with slight pressure and has loose stools.

This could be due to some gastroesophageal reflux from the treat creating a partial obstruction and pressure on her stomach and intestines, or it may be that the ingredients in the treat don't agree with her gastrointestinal tract and are causing a reaction leading to her symptoms. Since she is passing stools a full obstruction seems very unlikely.

Since she is passing stools you can take a watch and see approach. In the meantime in case she does have some reflux and this is related to the treat there are some things that we can do that may help and won't hurt her.

At home you can give either:
1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours 1 &1/2 of the 10mg tabs every 12 hours for her)
OR
2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel more comfortable if she does have some mild reflux. They can be used as needed as they are quite safe.

For the next few days, until she's more comfortable, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this to soothe her stomach and hopefully clear any partial obstructions.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are repeated vomiting, a worsening, tense, painful belly, continued lack of an appetite despite the acid reducer and bland diet, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. In most cases though they come along just fine in a day or two.

Best of luck with Dixie, please let me know if you have any further question.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian