Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Chorkie has blood in his stool. Should I get him to Vet.

Customer Question
Or can I change his...
My Chorkie has blood in his stool. Should I get him to Vet. Or can I change his diet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 1 year ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Blood in the stool, when it is red in color, suggests colitis. Colitis can have several causes, some more worrisome than others. That includes, dietary indiscretion, stress, foreign body ingestion, intestinal parasitism (not just worms but the super common microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia), or a bleeding disorder.

Yes, I do think its worth the vet visit, since they can prescribe medication to help support and heal the intestinal tract. One drug is called sulfasalazine. It acts as an anti-inflammatory inside of the colon.
Metronidazole is also great for intestinal distress and when diarrhea is also present.

I would avoid the diet change, because a abrupt diet change can also exacerbate the problem commonly.

Hope that information helps

Hope everything is going okay?

Hi Gerald,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director