Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm pretty sure my 11 lb chihuahua ate cat poop last night,

Customer Question
he wouldn't eat but just...
I'm pretty sure my 11 lb chihuahua ate cat poop last night, he wouldn't eat but just ate breakfast, though a bit reluctant and has not pooped. He also has a down tail and wants mommy's lap like he is not feeling good
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chico he's 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chico?
Customer: he gets tummy aches once in a while but I'm surprised he hasn't pooped yet
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Chico has eaten cat stool, then his gut upset is not surprising. This is because cat feces is full of bacteria that can upset the dog stomach. With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Finally, I am not alarmed that he isn't passing stool as long as he is comfortable and not straining to do so. His lack of stool may be from not eating (little in means little out). Though if you feel he is a bit constipated, the light diet will help but you can also treat him with OTC cat hairball treatment to help keep his stool moving.

Overall, this is a common side effect for dogs eating cat feces. So, we'd want to try to soothe his stomach just now. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, and start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian