Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has thrown up poop(diarrhea looking) and it looks and

Customer Question
smells just like poop never...
My dog has thrown up poop(diarrhea looking) and it looks and smells just like poop never seen or heard of this before he is a miniature Yorker why is he doing this is it something serious
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1-no. 2- no. 3-5lbs. 4- 24hrs. 5-no

1- So since the last time he vomited he ate and has not vomited, correct?

2- Does he eat poop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1-correct. 2-no

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, if your dog did not eat feces I can assure you that he did not vomit poop. You see, once the food is in the colon (large intestines) as feces it will not travel back up to be vomited. The feces like odor is likely the stomach content had been there for a while and for this reason acquired that odor, this is common. The big question is: Why is he vomiting? Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

I would recommend you keep an eye on him, if he continues to vomit this is what can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand you don't think it is poop but it looks and smells just like diarrhea that my other dog has had before texture and everything I also understand that the food doesn't turn to poop until it is in the colon that is why I am so confused as to how he is vomiting poop is it possible something with his system is not right and that is why

Friend, the only possible explanation is the stomach content being in the stomach for a long time and being fermented to acquire that odor. Whatever he ate was in the stomach for a long time which could have been caused by any of the above mentioned diseases.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm no satisfied with your answer because last time he vomited like this he had a few cooked spaghetti noodle and they came up the same way they went in except for with poop he goes potty regular so I'm just gonna have to end up taking him to our vet with a sample of the vomit and see if we can figure it out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The last time was about three weeks ago so I don't see how if he is going potty regular that that much food could be in him or that it had fermented

I am sorry you are not satisfied with my answer. I will opt out so another expert could help you.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian