Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Oh i'm petsitting, I and pet sitted here last weekend as

Customer Question
well and they have not...
oh i'm petsitting, I and pet sitted here last weekend as well and they have not taken him to the vet. Their Border Collie wont eat and yesterday afternoon when I got here there was what I thought was pee on the floor. So I went and got some cleaning spray and paper towels. It wasn't pee. It was this thick thick clear liquid. A ton of it. Im worried about him. He's only picking at his food. He is drinking water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Border collie?
Customer: he is 11?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, last weekend he threw up his food on the bed. it smelled horrible and almost looked like there was meat in it. I have never seen anything like it.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

The vomiting that you're seeing is certainly a concern. If you are able to take this boy to the vet, I would certainly do so. Injectable medications to help stop the vomiting would be very helpful and at 11 years of age, some blood work and x-rays to determine the cause of the 'meaty' vomiting may be indicated.

Failing this, there are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wHen would he need to go to the vet? The meaty vomiting was last weekend, havent see that yet just the thick liquid yesterday afternoon.

I would recommend doing it as soon as possible. Because the vomiting, albeit intermittent, has been observed for at least a week...and then the fact that he's not eating, I believe sooner would be better. Something is obviously making him feel unwell otherwise he would be eating normally without any vomiting.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse