Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is trying to throw up and nothing is coming out, He has

Customer Question

He is trying to throw up and nothing is coming out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He has gotten in the trash the last few days which he has never done before
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tiny he is 15 and a dashound
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tiny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tiny?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His stomach feels hard
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Does his belly look distended?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)? What was in the trash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He throw up earlier today it was white mucus. Then he was fine. This started about hour ago. He will not let me look at his gums put he does have mucus around his mouth. The trash had egg shells and take out conters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His belly is distended put when you push on it he tensed a little
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Since he has brought up mucus, can you tell me if he can take food or water?

Any bones in the take out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bones. As of right now he is not drinking or eating.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

I have to say I am quite worried about your lad.

Now you will need to look at his gums (just lift his lip), else we'd need you to roll down his lower eyelid to just make sure it is pink as it should be. If it isn't, if he is very distended, or if you think the mucus was not from the stomach and just the mouth, then we'd be worried about bloat as opposed to a gut upset. And in that case, it is an emergency situation. So, if you are seeing those additional signs or if that belly is quite sore, we'd want to act quickly and have him seen now. His vet can rule out bloat and also check that he hasn't any blockages form something he may have stolen from the trash.

Otherwise, if you don't think he is very bloated, he isn't very sore, and those gums are pink; then we can try to soothe his stomach as we keep a close eye.To combat nausea, we can treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned

Further to this, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Of course, if he cannot keep these down or still won't eat with an antacid on board, then we'd want him seen for injectable anti-nausea medication and symptomatic care.

Overall, his non-productive retching is very worrisome and raises concerns of bloat. So, if you are seeing those other signs, then we'd want him seen now. If he isn't, then we can breathe a sign of relief and start symptomatic care to soothe his stomach.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )