Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My husband groomed my dog the other day, he is 1 year old

Customer Question
Hi , my husband groomed...
Hi , my husband groomed my dog the other day , he is 1 year old poodle , and since then pup has been licking hisbprivates every time he gets up . We think maybe my husband cut him by mistake , but we don't see anything . ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Well I am worried that something might be wrong , he licks himself a lot more often than before . Like he will get up to start playing but and as soon as he gets up he lick himself c, like something is bothering him ..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the poodle. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?
Customer: No , he is perfectly healthy , never had any issues . He has been neutered about 5 months ago .
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He jumps all of a sudden and starts licking himself . I have noticed he comes to me like he wants me to help him when he does that .
7/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is it his penis, scrotum, or rectum he is licking?

Has he been passing urine more often? Straining?

Any dribbling?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His scrotum , he has not been peeing more often , no straining , no dribbling . He does have his tail down at times . He will play and is still real happy and sweet and tail wagging when you call him , but it seems at certain moments out of nowhere he wil start licking no himself for couple seconds then he lays down . While he is laying down he seems ok .

Thank you,

I am glad to hear that he has no urinary signs and isn't targeting his penis. Since it is his scrotum he is focused on, razor burn would be a concern if he was clipped there. As well, we could see him showing these signs if he has an anal gland issue (ie inflammation, blockage, impaction).

With this in mind and regards ***** ***** skin irritation from grooming, I'd note that we will need to start by blocking his access to the area. So, if he is licking, we may need to use an e-collar for the short term or at least a pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a hole for his tail). Once we have blocked access, we can then apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream or spray. This will reduce irritation, inflammation, and help reduce any itchiness for him. You can use this 2-3 times daily and can salt water bathe beforehand if there are any signs of open ulcers or sores. While doing this we will want to monitor his behavior and if he isn't settling in 24 hours, we'd want his vet to check his skin and those anal glands +/- start a short course of dog safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian