Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10yr med labradoodle might hv chewed and swallowed a

Customer Question
lipstick size lip sunscreen it...
My 10yr med labradoodle might hv chewed and swallowed a lipstick size lip sunscreen it was boots Soltan factor 50 protection will she b ok please? I dropped a lip save same size and the Soltan and forgot to pick them up. I noticed she was chewing something it was the lip salve but I managed to retrieve it . I'm not sure if she has eaten the lip screen or not HB
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she eat the container as well or just the ointment?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sory I just don't know for sure if she did eat it there are no signs of remains that's why I doubt if she did eat it I retrieved the other tube which made me aware that she was chewing I'm really asking the question "in case" she hs eaten the salve it was bright yellow colour and I would hv expected some bits around but I can't see any so I'm assuming that she hasn't eaten it. I'm really asking the question IF she has chewed it will it harm her? It's the size of a lipstick plastic. It's possible that she has hidden it and NOT swallowed it thanku HB

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the salve is not going to be life threatening or systemically toxic but she could develop mild vomiting or diarrhea otherwise she will be fine. The main concern would be the container that could become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. But, she is a big dog so it is very likely she will be able to pass in the stool. I would add some rice to her food for the 2-3 days; the rice will bind the container and help pass it in the stool. Symptoms to look for that would suggest a possible obstruction are: Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, anorexia, abdominal pain, etc. If you see any these symptoms during the next few days follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was quoted £14 how how it risen to £24 ? I only wanted to know if Soltan sunscreen factor 50 lipstick size wld harm my dog I realise it all IF she has eaten I haven't any proof it was a general question I am unable to take a call will keep an eye on her tonight and seek help if necessary thanku HB

HB, I answered your question please read above.

If you have any questions pertaining to charges please contact customer service I am sure they will be able to help you. I don't deal with charges issues I am sorry.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian