Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My shih-tzu got a hold of already chewed gum ....barely one

Customer Question

Hi, my shih-tzu got a hold of already chewed gum ....barely one piece, she's acting normal it's been about 2 hours unfortunately ....what do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophia 10 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophia?
Customer: She's very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Sophia's gum exposure however I would only be concerned if it were sugarless gum and even then with it being already chewed there is no way to know how much residual xylitol would be left. Since she is otherwise acting normally, it is reasonable to monitor her for signs of low blood sugar including lethargy, twitching, mental dullness or confusion or seizures. If she is not having any of these and is eating and drinking normally then I would expect her to be ok.

However, it wouldn't hurt to take her to her regular veterinarian tomorrow to have her liver values checked as dogs can liver damage from sugarless gum as well as low blood sugar. If the gum was not sugarless and did not contain any xylitol (this info would be available on the manufacturer's website) then there is no cause of concern.

Does this address your concerns about Sophia tonight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was sugarless
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

You can look up the ingredients online at the manufacturer's website. I can help you with this if you need me to. However, I would not expect 1 piece of gum to contain enough xylitol (if it does at all as not all sugarless gum does) to produce significant clinical signs.

As long as she is acing normally now and is eating and not vomiting, then I would expect she will do just fine but it is prudent to monitor her as above and seek emergency medical treatment if you notice any of the above clinical signs. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I noticed that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie