Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 50 lb dog just ate an average size corn cob. My wife says

Customer Question
My 50 lb dog just...
My 50 lb dog just ate an average size corn cob. My wife says he chewed up as he ate it. I'm worried. Should we induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Nope he is three year old hound mix. Good health. Just ate it about 30 mins ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A written reply is fine.

No problem, just starting to type out your reply now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If a dog of that size chewed up the corn cob into multiple fragments and then swallowed the fragments then the chances are that this would cause no problem as the fragments would most likely just pass through his intestinal tract over the next 48 hours.

2. The danger lies when they swallow a corn cob whole as in my experience this is a fairly common cause of intestinal tract blockage which is a serious situation which usually requires abdominal surgery.

3. This is a gamble of course. It seems like your dog chewed up the cob so the chances are that everything will be fine but if an intestinal tract blockage were to occur the surgery would be very traumatic for your dog and also this would be an expensive surgery, so really you may want to try and induce vomiting in any case as a precaution. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

4. However if you do not recover the cob by inducing vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected symptoms of alimentary tract obstruction would include vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining and abdominal pain.

5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dr. Scott. We'll try inducing vomiting.

This is a wise precaution, probably not necessary because hopefully he chewed it up some before swallowing it, but the corrective surgery is quite along and complex operation so why take the risk?

I will be standing by for the next few hours in case I can help you further, please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the corn cob incident...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian