Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He cries when he urinates I have been giving m AC and apple

Customer Question
He cries when he urinates...
He cries when he urinates I have been giving him AC and apple cider vinegar ( he will not take that anymore turns his head away)he is better playing and running around now, still cries and slow stream of urine (clear)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the head's name and age?
Customer: Can I use Amoxicillian?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the head?
Customer: no he is 4 months old
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Does he pass large or small volumes of urine?

Is he trying to go more often? Any straining?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 days ago he was not moving around a lot and cried when he peed. ( he is a goat) He is passing a moderate amont but is trying to push it out, straining.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have some Amoxicillin and I think he will take the AC, refusing the vinegar now. How much Amoxicillin can I give him?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have some from my dentist 500 mg Buddy is 4 1/2 month old and weighs almost 50 lbs

Thank you for clarifying, as you have posted your question to the dog vet category.

In any case, I do treat both so that is fine. That said, straining to urinate in a male goat is a major issue. This is because if that urine is slow to pass and clear, infection is less likely. So, you could try Amoxicillin (150mg for the weight you listed given by injection only into the muscle once daily) but I am quite worried he has a partial urethral blockage. This is an urgent issue (where not passing urine at all is an emergency and can be fatal) and often needs aggressive fluid therapy, goat safe anti-inflammatories, and sometimes cathertization or even surgery to clear this. So, you can try the antibiotics if you wish but from what you reported this doesn't sound like an infection and instead he sounds at risk of blockage which should be looked into by a local vet urgently to keep him from suffering or harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You!

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for your poor wee lad,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian