Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate my step mothers pills and supplements like

Customer Question

My dog ate my step mothers pills and supplements like cholesterol meds, vit d, and calcium pills about an hour ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max, a little over a year.
JA: How old is Max?
Customer: A little over a year.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: Hes a gsp that weighs about 75 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How many of these pills did Max swallow, how many of each ?

2. What strength was the Vitamin d { iu units }

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a list as follows:
12 vit d 2000mg
18 multi vitamins
2 potassium pills 20 mg
6 probiotic
6 coq10 200 mg
6 atorvastatin 10 mg

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. That's quite a lot of drugs even for a larger dog and this could present problems to your dog. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drugs that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet without delay.

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Max is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his potential drug overdose ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up taking him to the vet last night as a precaution. They induced vomiting with no evidence of pills, so it looks as of they were already in his system. Every 8 hours since ive been giving him activated charcoal.
You certainly did the right thing, often you do not see the pills because they will have already dissolved, but still inducing vomiting will be successful, the activated charcoal is also a wise precaution.Regards, *****
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Scott for the help!
No problem, very glad to be advising you.Regards, *****

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and hopefully Max has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott