Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My terrier is bleeding slightly from rectal what can I do?

Customer Question
My ***** ***** terrier is...
My ***** ***** terrier is bleeding slightly from rectal what can I do for her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your little one Dottie's rectal bleeding. I do have some questions for you.

1. Has she ever had loose stools?
  2. Has she ever had mucous in his stools?
  3. Or do the stools themselves look normal?
  4. Does she strain to pass stools?
  5. Is the bleeding only with stools or independent of stools?
  6. Are her gums a nice pink color?
  7. How is she feeling otherwise? Is she bright active and alert or lethargic?
  8. Any vomiting?
  9. Is she eating and drinking normally?
  10. Any change in diet or did she eat something she shouldn't have (bones, pieces of a toy, wood)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lite diarrhea she's active she did ate a bone no vomiting she's cleaning her but constant she poop 3 time today it was hard poop

Thanks for the further information.

When you say diarrhea do you mean loose stools?

Because then you say it was a "hard poop" which wouldn't mean diarrhea, so I am confused.

Or do you mean she is straining a lot and having a tough time passing loose stools?

A raw, irritated colon can take a few days to heal. The bone that she may certainly have irritated the walls of her intestinal tract and started all of this. The bleeding should clear completely with treatment over the next 2 to 3 days. If not she should be checked by her regular veterinarian and her anal glands should be checked.

Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasites can cause bllod in the stools too and parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.

Since she still feels well now though we can try some things at home.

If her appetite is off and her stomach is gurgling she may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with bloody stools.

To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from eating the bone..

I would not feed her any food for 8 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with bloody stools. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make the irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. This will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon. I recommend adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac to her meals daily to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels too.

Once she feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If your pup begins vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian