Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My pitbull has a red mole that wont stop from bleeding. what

Customer Question

my pitbull has a red mole that wont stop from bleeding. what do i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

Where is the mole located? About how big is it? Has your dog been diagnosed with any medical conditions? Has he eaten any rat bait or anything else he should not have eaten?

If the mole is on a limb or tail, then you can place a pressure bandage to stop the bleeding. Once the bleeding has stopped (wait about 1-2 hours) then you can remove the bandage as long as your dog does not lick at the area. If he is licking, then he should wear an e. collar to prevent him from opening it up and making it bleed again. If it is not on a limb or tail, then you can hold pressure for 20-30 minutes to help it clot. You can also apply an ice pack (wrap it in a towel and do not apply directly to the skin) to the area to help decrease blood flow and cause the vessels to constrict. Again, if it is in an area that he can reach, I recommend an e, collar to prevent him from opening it up again. You can also apply styptic powder if you have some (cornstarch will work in a pinch) and then hold pressure or place a pressure bandage to help encourage clot formation. A pressure bandage should not be left on for longer than 1-2 hours as this can occlude blood flow and cause swelling of the paw or leg above or below the bandage. Once the bleeding has stopped you can take the bandage off. If the bleeding does not stop, place a bandage to help slow the bleeding and call your vet in the morning.

Does this seem to be helpful for your situation and make sense? Please let me know if you need further clarification.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie