Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My great dane was neutered tuesday. He has s cone on and we

Customer Question
My great dane was neutered...
My great dane was neutered tuesday. He has his cone on and we left him in our room while we picked out kids up. When we got home he has jumped up on our bed (which he never does) and he seems to have opened his wound. He is dropping some blood. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do with him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your great dane bleeding a lot?
Customer: I just see drops of blood. not pooling
JA: What is the great dane's name and age?
Customer: Leo, he is 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?
Customer: he is deaf.. the vet removed the whole sack because he had some masses on his testicles so the incision is larger than a normal neutering
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am happy to review a photo if you can attach it with the paperclip on the screen. It likely has more of a serous fluid discharge which is red tinged and is common when the incision has had more activity and it is a step back but hopefully did not dehisce the entire incision. If the skin is simply separated you can try icing it tonight to reduce the bleeding with vasoconstriction in ten minute intervals or have a veterinary er evaluate him and potentially require skin glue or resuturing

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.

I had already typed this response prior to you posting the live phone call but am happy to opt out to allow another to assist you. It might be a few minutes before someone is able to contact via phone though

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats ok. this will be fine. Let me go take a picture for you.

Perfect, please let me know if you have difficulties doing so

I am online another 10 minutes tonight to assist you. I will opt out if I miss you tonight to allow another expert to assist you

I apologize I am going to have to sign off, I would definitely ice the incision in ten minute intervals and keep him quiet tonight. As long as it is not a full dehiscence and it simply separated at the superficial dermal level then waiting until tomorrow is fine with the e-collar on. If there are any hesitations please have him seen tonight as a precaution

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Leo to see if you were able to get him to your vet today? I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian