Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My golden retriever has been unusually smelly couple of

Customer Question
My golden retriever has been...
My golden retriever has been unusually smelly for a couple of weeks now, and keeps chewing himself, mainly around his paws, but has also pulled hair out around his anus. Then tonight I noticed he had a sticky very smelly mass under his chin. When I took his collar off to wash it, I noticed his skin is very inflamed and clumps of hair have just fallen off.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the golden retriever's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 9.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Salty?
Customer: He is in good health and apart from being a bit smelly at the moment doesn't have any health issues. He gets wormed regularly (I give him drontal)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Any recent change in diet or environment? Is he on flea medication?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dr Alleyne,About six months ago, my husband insisted we change from the good quality food I was buying to a very cheap kibble. He has been smelling progressively worse and chewing himself (around his anus, where he actually pulled out clumps of hair until there is a bald patch, in the folds of his back legs and around his genitals and paws). During this past week, the smell became quite unbearable as it has been very hot here (we're in the UK) and then last night, I noticed he had this sticky dark smelly area under his chin. I took his collar off, and sponged the area with soap and water and there were clumps of hair which I had to cut. There is a definite bald area, last night it looked red and angry, this morning it doesn't look "so" inflamed but he is not letting me look properly. He has always been very reluctant to let me groom that area.He is not on flea medication, I don't like the idea of preventative chemicals. He has only had fleas once in his life and they were dealt with swiftly.He is very healthy and doesn't seem at all unwell, except for the bothersome itching and noticeable smell, considering how big that lump must have been before it burst.

Sorry for the delay in response, I was offline when you responded. Sounds like he is experiencing some allergies based on what you are describing. Those allergies may be most likely related to food if he didn't have those problems until there was a food change. Dogs with allergies can develop cysts under the skin because of the inflammation that allergies cause. Also allergies can cause increase secretion of the sebaceous glands which leads to increased moisture making it more likely for yeast infections which may be causing the smell. In addition to a food change, he may need regular shampooing with an anti-fungal shampoo usually 2-3 times a week, antibiotics for infection and something to help control the itching. I like to use a medication called Apoquel and pets who are experiencing allergies. So I would look for it if it is available in the UK

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian