Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have found a live tick on my dog I asked my husband to

Customer Question
take her to the vets...
I have found a live tick on my dog I asked my husband to take her to the vets as I am ill and to ask the vet what would happen if one got into her system he didnt ask the vet now I am worried can you advis pleasee me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Jennifer, ticks don't "get into my patient's system" but can transmit tick-borne infections predicated upon where you live; for example, Lyme, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. These infectious agents usually become apparent within the first month of being bitten and fever, lameness, a bleeding tendency due to low numbers of blood platelets, and anemia are common symptoms of these infections. Milly's vet would know which of these infectious agents should be considered. We have a simple 10 minute in-house test to see if Milly had been exposed to Lyme, Ehrlichia, or Anaplasma and that can be performed a month after the tick was seen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian