Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 17 year old Schnauzer male-neutered and he just

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old Schnauzer male-neutered and he just lays and barks . I cannot tell if he is in pain He cannot walk and has difficulty hearing and seeing. I have to clean his eyes everyday for mucus.
Suggestions ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your elderly dog. His behavior may indicate pain, anxiety, or both. It's not unusual for dogs with compromised sensory perception and ability to move about to become quite anxious which then is manifested by what they can still do - bark. His quality of life is paramount to me and that quality appears to be quite poor at this time.

Your options appear to be limited. You can have his vet thoroughly examine him and treat simple problems conservatively - antibiotics, analgesics, e.g. You can have more exhaustive diagnostics performed in the form of blood and urine tests and imaging in the form of X-ray or ultrasound which then will give you a better idea of his ability to return to reasonable function. You would also be justified in having the final kindness performed as it's reasonable to assume that at his age whatever's found in such testing might be palliated with treatment but won't be curable. I understand that you have a difficult decision to make at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.