Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How to treat boils, leave it alone like human and it will

Customer Question
how to treat boils for...
how to treat boils for dogs, leave it alone like for a human and it will heal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

In dogs, "boils" represent furunculosis - a deep pyoderma (bacterial skin infection). These need to be treated for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs usually with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin. Shampooing twice weekly in an antimicrobial shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide should hasten remission. Treating for too little of a time (10 days is insufficient even for a superficial pyoderma) is the most common cause of treatment failure. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian