Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I own a female yellow Labrador. Her urine is burning holes

Customer Question
in my grass. Is there...
I own a female yellow Labrador. Her urine is burning holes in my grass. Is there any supplement I can give her to stop the grass
burning.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

This is a common summer problem. No, I don't know of any supplement. The burning is from uric acid in normal urine.

But here are some things you can do.

1 Keep a hose handy and flush the spot where she urinates.

2 Or if you know her schedule water the lawn with a timer.

3 There are also some motion sensitive sprinklers used to discourage animals from visiting your yard. You can put a time delay on it to prevent her from getting soaked.

4 Make sure that she has lots of fresh water available at all times. This will dilute the urine.

5 Walk her morning and evening so she urinates out of your yard. She will have urination in your yard.

She will have less urination in your yard. Sorry about that.

Hope that this helps.

Or you can just accept summertime urine burns.

You will notice that it is worse where the lawn gets lots of sun. You might restrict her from these areas during the hottest part of the day.

We can continue this chat as long as you have any questions. I am here to help.

OK, I did some research on a veterinary site and came up with a product called G-Wiz. You mix in the dog's water. I have no experience with this product but other vets do.

I looked on line. The product is G-Whiz. I cannot find it . Will search further.

No luck. The source I had was 2 years old.

I was wrong, the burning is from the ammonia in urine which is a product of protein metabolism. You could try a lower protein dog food if your vet approves it.

However the unanimous recommendation is water the spots!

Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian