Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How long could it take for my dog’s raw paw pads to cure?

Customer Question
I was recently involved with...
I was recently involved with a dog rescue involving a dog who lives on a chain. It is a very sad situation--anyway, when we found her, she was suffering from heatstroke, we also noticed raw paw pads--on at least three of her four pads. My Question is this: What is an average healing time for raw paw pads?
She is a friend's neighbor's dog--(extremely limited chain laws in Oklahoma so any help given is via Good Samaritan actions); I do not know her age, she’s possibly 10.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Paw pads will typically heal similar to a nail issue. It will take a good 3-4 weeks before the new pad grows and the damaged sections are replaced.

To help them heal faster, I like to use SSD (silver sulfadiazine) ointment. You can get it from a vet or from a human pharmacy. I will also typically put them on some Cephalexin (antibiotic) to help with any secondary infections on the pads. I also prefer to have them open as much as possible. They heal up better open than if they are wrapped.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian